ITV scores with Rugby World Cup final


With less than two months to the end of the year, ITV is front-runner to secure the most viewed TV moment of 2019.

A peak of 12.8 million viewers tuned into ITV's exclusive live coverage of the Rugby World Cup final between England and South Africa, meaning the match from Yokohama, Japan has become the year so far's highest rating moment on TV.

During the match, which saw England lose to South Africa on Saturday morning UK time, 79% of the audience watching TV were watching ITV / STV / UTV, according to viewing figures, leaving every other TV channel fighting over the remaining 21% of the available audience.

All eyes will be on the BBC to see if can attract enough viewers for any of its seasonal offerings next month to see if the record can be beaten. Realistically, next year's Euro 2020 football tournament and Olympics in Japan look set to be the next major events that might be able to attract as many viewers to a single TV channel in one go.

2018's most-watched TV moment was the FIFA World Cup match between Croatia and England. Blue Planet II came top of the charts in 2017 and last Great British Bake-Off final to be screened on the BBC came top in 2016.